The Free Soul | Reasons For the Soul’s Departure | Symptoms of Soul Loss | The Soul Retrieval Process | The Soul’s Return | More Information | Choosing a Practitioner | Releasing Soul Parts You Are Holding | How do I know if I need a Soul Retrieval?
The Free Soul
Shamans believe that part of the human soul is free to leave the body. The soul is the axis mundi, the center of the shamanic healing arts. Shamans change their state of consciousness allowing their free soul to travel and retrieve ancient wisdom and lost power.
Because the soul is free to leave the body it will do so when dreaming. Or it will leave the body to protect itself from damaging situations either emotional or physical. If the soul doesn’t come back on its own, a shaman must intervene and return the soul essence.
Reasons For the Soul’s Departure
There are various reasons for soul loss, all of which are healthy ways of protecting yourself:
- A person was in an abusive situation and the soul left to protect itself from the abuse.
- A child might have sent his or her soul to hide while his parents were fighting.
- The soul might jump out of the body just prior to an accident to avoid the force of the accident.
- Someone close died and the soul left until the person is ready to deal with his or her grief.
Again, all of these are healthy mechanisms of protection.
In some cases, the soul part will return on its own. But if it does not realize how to return, or doesn’t know its safe to – the shaman may need to assist the return that missing piece.
- A mother may give some to her child because she wishes to protect him or her.
- A lover may give a part of his or her soul to remain close
This type of soul exchange may seem OK because you want to share yourself with another. It is generally not a good idea, however. No one can use another person’s soul, because it is not their soul. Your loved one has to deal with unusable energy in addition to his or her own problems. Also, the person who gave their soul has less power for daily living and may feel disconnected. Both the giver and the receiver lose something.
We don’t know we are doing this soul sharing, because we were never taught about it. As you become more aware of it, you can find more empowering ways of sharing love and affection.
You can see the language of soul loss in everyday speaking. You might have hear someone say she “lost a piece of herself” when she parted with a lover, or the x-boyfriend saying “you stole my life from me.”
Soul Stealing is another reason for soul loss. Maybe we should say borrowing, the average person doesn’t realize they took someone else’s soul. This is different than someone giving you their soul, in this case you took it for some reason.
- Soul stealing can be innocent, you see someone with lots of energy and you want to borrow some of it.
- You are afraid of losing someone, so you take a piece of that person with you so that you will always have him or her close by.
- Soul stealing can also be a way to dominate another.
- Soul stealing may be seen where an abusive spouse has taken his or her partner’s soul.
- When you take someone’s soul, you take some of that person’s power.
It is important to know that no one can take your soul without your consent. If someone has stolen your soul, you have in some sense given it or allowed him or her to have it. It might have been normal in your family to borrow energy from each other. Or you might not have realized it was OK to say no. If for some reason you feel that someone is tugging at your soul, make a firm decision within yourself that they cannot have it, and they will not be able to take it from you.
Symptoms of Soul Loss
Soul loss would be similar to the psychological concept of disassociation. Once again the language of our society refers to soul loss, I lost something when I lost my job, I never felt the same after my accident..
Some of the symptoms that would indicate soul loss to a shaman include:
- Feeling incomplete.
- Inability to move forward on some issue.
- Lost memories.
- Feeling like your not in control your life.
- People who say I felt like part of me died when…
- People who say I feel like so-and-so stole my soul.
Soul loss is often accompanied by a feeling that something is missing from life.
Coma is a situation of extreme soul loss. In coma, more of the soul is out of the body then in. As with the other protective feature of soul loss, this can be very appropriate. If the body is in a great deal of pain, or if the soul needs time to consider its situation, a coma provides needed time. Shock is another symptom of soul loss, where the individual’s soul hasn’t returned yet or hasn’t fully reentered the body.
A person frequently wishes to return to his or her lost soul. So if the soul part was lost to a person, or in a specific place, an individual may feel an urge to return to that place or person, even when there seems to be no outward reason to do so. Occasionally, when a person is having suicidal thoughts, it may be because of a desire to reunite with one’s lost soul pieces.
The Soul Retrieval Process
If the shaman suspects soul loss she or he would then journey shamanically to determine if you need a soul part returned. Then the shaman would take another journey to retrieve any soul pieces that should come back at this time.
In the practices taught in the US, and in many parts of the world, the shaman brings the soul pieces back with them from his or her journey. The healer would then blow each piece back into the body of the client, one at time, focusing so that the soul essence fills that person’s body.
In most cases, you will need a healer to perform the soul retrieval for you. Its not easy to do this for yourself. Also, an essential component of shamanic healing is the love that is felt when someone performs a healing for you. The act of receiving, a feeling that the universe is wanting the best for you.
However, some ways to do this yourself include, asking for the souls return:
- Putting the question to the universe.
- Asking for a healing dream.
- Asking your guardian angel or guardian spirits to return soul pieces to you.
It is certainly within the power of the individual to release any soul parts they may have because of soul sharing. See Below for more information about releasing parts you are holding.
Don’t overlook the importance of having someone perform a soul retrieval for you because you feel you must do it on your own. It is important to be active in one’s own healing, but an active part is generally essential once the soul is returned to you. The soul retrieval itself is very much about receiving, so whether you engage the assistance of a shamanic practitioner or not, don’t forget this essential component.
When performing a soul retrieval, the shamanic practitioner will create a sacred space for you. This space is one where you are held in a container or love, and one that protects you from the interferences of the outside world. If you become vulnerable during the soul retrieval, the shamanic practitioner protects that vulnerability. It isn’t easy to do this for oneself, -and- perform the soul retrieval, -and- drum, -and- be receiving… you get the idea.
The Soul’s Return
In indigenous cultures with active shamans, you would not be without your soul pieces for very long. The soul retrieval healing would often be accompanied by celebration, or a joyous welcome from family members. In today’s culture, however, an entire lifetime can go by before certain pieces come home. The soul retrieval can seem a bit like the return of the prodigal son. However you feel about it, its important to celebrate the return of your vital essence back to where it belongs – in the same way we would celebrate the return of a long lost loved one.
People’s reactions after their soul retrieval are very varied. You are unique and so is your returning soul. A soul retrieval means different things to different people. Its important not to have any preconceived notions about what you might feel. Some people feel great joy, some people sadness, some people feel fuller, some people feel lighter, some people feel nothing… there is no ‘one’ or ‘right’ way.
Some of the benefits that have been experienced by people who have received a soul retrieval include:
- A greater ability to make decisions in their life
- A sense of being more present in their life
- The ability to move pass an issue that previously could not
- The beginning of a new growth or healing process.
- An ability to begin dealing with grief
Some healers will tell you what gifts your soul is bringing back to you. For instance, the return of your ability to have hope, or confidence in yourself. The practitioner cannot tell you in advance what will come from the soul retrieval. It is possible that the soul retrieval will complete a healing process, but it is also possible that it will begin the work of new healing and new growing.
Its important to be open. Openness helps you fully receive your soul part back, and allows you to notice anything new you need to bring into your life. Perhaps you need to have more fun to meet the needs of the returned piece of your self, perhaps you need to go outside more, perhaps you need to give your self a period of introspection after the soul retrieval has occurred. Perhaps the soul retrieval was just the last of a missing piece in your healing process. You must listen to yourself if you are to allow healing changes into your life. You must care for yourself as you would a new born, and give your self whatever you find is needed now that this gift has returned.
Don’t be afraid to ask for the help of a counselor or therapist. If you are unsure about mentioning soul retrieval, you can always tell them you feel like you reclaimed a part of yourself recently and aren’t sure what to do. Therapists understand that concept regardless of whether or not they believe in soul retrieval itself.
Do you need any more information?
If you would like to know more about the soul retrieval process, I would recommend a book by Sandra Ingerman:
The book has been healing in itself for some people, and it will give you a full overview of Soul Retrieval. Sandra Ingerman is a pioneer for the introduction of soul retrieval to the US and has taught thousands of students in the soul retrieval process during her 20 plus years as a shamanic practitioner.
If you would like to locate a shamanic healer Shaman Links has a Shaman Healer Directory which lists healers by location. Sandra Ingerman also has a list of screened practitioners on the Practitioners page of her website: ShamanicTeachers.com
And she also has a website www.sandraingerman.com for general information.
Finding the Right Healer
You want to choose a person who performs soul retrieval regularly. Once you are sure he or she has the right experience, the next most important thing is how you feel about the healer.
When you are looking for a person to perform your soul retrieval it is essential that you feel comfortable with your choice. People who know how to trust themselves are not likely to have any problems finding the right practitioner. If this is a concern of yours, here is some information about choosing:
- Find someone who has the right fit with you.
- If you don’t feel comfortable with a practitioner, it doesn’t matter that their name came highly recommended by someone or if they are highly skilled.
- Some clients fit better with certain practitioners then with others.
A good practitioner will be very accepting of you, judgmental language is a warning sign. The most important quality of a shamanic practitioner, a lesson we as practitioners are taught frequently, is to remember that as the healer you are only the vehicle for healing. So that is the sense you should get from your shamanic practitioner, that they understand the principal of “the hollow bone” –
Returning Soul Parts that you are holding:
If you feel that you have soul pieces to return to others:
In the language of the soul, the way you “get things done” is by making clear what your intent is. The job is accomplished by doing something as simple as:
- Going outside, getting a twig, and snapping it in half to indicate that you would like to release the souls you are holding.
- You can take an object such as a quartz stone that represents the person’s soul and give it to the person as a gift.
- Speak a request that your guardian spirits return the soul pieces you are holding.
- It is only necessary for you to send a clear message that you wish to release the soul pieces, so whatever method that seems appropriate for you will work.
IF you are actually willing to release the soul piece, that is. In some cases it is difficult to let go when someone is no longer in our life, such as a lover we have broken up with. You may need to first do the work of being willing to release what you are holding of them. Perhaps you are unwilling to let go of the control. Don’t judge yourself, but instead, try to get to the bottom of why you are holding on. Remember that this part of their soul is needed for them to live their life fully. Remember that it makes your life more difficult when you try to hold on.
How Do I know if I need a Soul Retrieval?
Many people know instinctively that they are missing something. They hear about soul retrieval and it makes sense to them, or they have an “Ah ha.” moment where they realize that it is something that applies to them. But for those people who aren’t so well connected with their intuition, they might not have that awareness.
As mentioned above symptoms/indicators of soul loss can include:
- Feelings of depression
- A feeling of being incomplete
- Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, or PTSD like symptoms.
- Inability to move past an issue despite efforts to do so.
- Feeling like you’ve done everything you can do but are still stuck.
- Feeling disconnected from life, like you don’t really feel anything, or you feel you can’t connect to things.
- Memories or incident in your past when you can say, I feel that I lost something that I never got back.
- A sense that someone took a part of you, your heart, your soul, or that you were not the same once they left you or died.
- You keep wanting to return to a person, or a location that seems unhealthy or unlikely, even though there is no apparent reason for you to do so.
- Lost memories, like a part of your history is “missing”
- The feeling that soul retrieval may help you.
It isn’t necessary for you to have an extreme symptom, to indicate soul loss. It is certainly true that some people have experienced benefits, even though they were not sure whether they had soul loss or not. If you feel this is something you might want to try, that is a good reason to contact a practitioner. They can go on a diagnostic journey to find out if this would be best for you at this time.
If you feel that you aren’t ready that is an emotion to honor. Sometimes a soul retrieval will bring up issues that need to be healed. If you aren’t in a place where you are ready to do that, it may be good for you to wait.
The following benefits are possible with soul retrieval, although there is no guarantee what will happen, all soul retrievals are different:
- You may find it easier to move forward on an issue that has been troubling you.
- You may feel a sense of that your really seeing your life for the first time.
- You may find it easier to make certain decisions or make certain changes.
- You may find that some characteristic you have struggled with such as hopelessness, lack of confidence, anger.. may improve or stop completely after a soul retrieval.
- You may find that you can connect to things more easily.
- You may feel more fully present
Additionally it is possible for the following challenges to be brought up with a soul retrieval:
- You may have feelings of sadness or depression because of the time that went by missing this part of you.
- Issues that you have previously been unwilling to deal with can come to the surface.
- You may find that you can no longer stay in a situation which you have been living with – such that you find you must make changes in your life.
- You may find feelings that you previously did not wish to deal with assert themselves, such as grief or anger.
- You may begin a long healing process.
There is no knowing what may happen as the result of a soul retrieval. In a few cases, a person may literally experiences a complete turn around of their life, to a more joyful way of being. In some cases, it begins a process of changes that take time to fully emerge. And of course, some people feel that not much really happened as a result of their soul retrieval. Your instincts should tell you what to do, and the practitioner can help you determine if a soul retrieval would be helpful to you at this time.
If you need support after a soul retrieval, your shamanic practitioner may be able to help you. You can also find support from a therapist or a counselor. If you feel that you would like a soul retrieval, but have a feeling of fear because it is unknown, you can always contact a practitioner to simply discuss soul retrieval, or your fears. See how you feel after you have discussed it with him or her, and then decide whether or not you wish to proceed.
Finally, a benefit of a soul retrieval or any shamanic healing, is seeing that someone cares enough to help you. Most shamanic practitioners feel a strong desire to help make your road a little easier. Some people say that this is the most helpful part of the healing process for them.
Good luck with your journey. Remember that whatever you decide, it is often the process of looking for healing that brings healing to you. When we ask the question, ‘what is it I need’, ‘what do I need to do next’, the act of questioning will often bring a flow of answers into our lives, from unexpected sources.
Soul Retrieval is often accompanied by Extraction Healing. Read about Shamanic Extraction Healing